Thursday, November 17, 2011

KID AND ADULT APPLE BEVERAGE RECIPES

Now that you have been to Apple Hill and have all those apples and you've baked apple pies, apple crisps, caramel apples....you are probably looking for something else to do with apples!  They are not FOOD recipes but BEVERAGE recipes...something for everyone!  Here are my 2 favorite drinks, one for kids and one for us that are a little bit older:

SPICED APPLE CIDER RECIPE:
I actually got the original recipe from my Aunt Becky but I added my own personal touches to it:
You don't have to but I love to use the crockpot for this recipe....whenever I can slow cook anything, I'm doing it....everything just tastes better coming out of the crockpot, in my opinion!
You need:
-1 gallon apple juice or cider (I use the low calorie version)
-1 apple, cored and sliced
-2 cinnamon sticks
-a few whole cloves (maybe 6)
-1 tsp rum or cinnamon extract
-2 tbsp maple syrup (I use the sugar free kind....very low in calories)
-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg (optional but I love the added spicy warm flavor)
-1/4 cup raisins
Add juice to slow cooker
-stud an apple slice with the cloves and drop into pot along with all the other ingredients
-cook on low for 2-4 hours
-serve right out of the crockpot.....yumm!

If you have ever tasted the apple wine from Apple Hill and fell in love with it like I did, then this recipe will not disappoint you, the taste is remarkably similar!

SPICED APPLE WINE
You need:
-1 bottle of your favorite white wine (chardonnay is a good choice but anything will do)
-3 apples peeled, cored, and diced
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 tsp cinnamon
In pitcher, pour wine and add the rest of the ingredients
Place in refrigerator and let sit for 1 month, if you are impatient like me, then 2 weeks will be plenty....the more the wine sits, the deeper the flavor!
You can also add to crockpot when ready and warm for a "hot" version
apples ready to be brought home

enjoying my "hot" spiced apple wine

sampling apple hill's cider
Try it and let me know if it compares with Apple Hill Wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment