Wednesday, November 2, 2011

LEFT OVER PUMPKINS

What to do with leftover pumpkins...we have all those pumpkins we picked at the pumpkin patch and carved for halloween but now what do we do with them....throw them away?  NO!
Every Nov. 1st, I take all my pumpkins and cut them in half, take out all the seeds (which I sometimes roast and save for a snack later), place on a baking sheet and roast for 5 minutes at 400 degrees until flesh inside is soft and tender.  Once they are cool enough to handle, I scoop out all the flesh, mash with a fork  and place about 1 cup's worth in little freezer baggies (which you can get at the dollar store) and store in freezer.  I had 1 medium/large pumpkin and 2 small pumpkins (baking size) this year and got about 10 cups which I have frozen and will use this holiday season for pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, filling for pumpkin/sage ravioli (recipe in tomorrow's blog), pumpkin pancakes(recipe in tomorrow's blog), pumpkin scones....on and on...possibilities are endless.  Needless to say, I never have to buy canned pumpkin...why should I or any of us when we can make our own with what we already have!  Never buy what you can easily make yourself and always try to get more than one use out of something such as our halloween pumpkins!

Amanda with one of our yummy pumpkins
HAPPY BAKING EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment