Wednesday, February 8, 2012

'REAL FOOD" WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS

My family and I are Catholic and every year during Lent we each pick something to give up or "sacrifice" along with not eating meat on Fridays.  In the past, I have given up eating dessert, eating anything after dinner, eating meat altogether but this year, I decided to up the game and push myself a little harder.  I am giving up all processed and packaged food and essentially only eating "whole" or "real" food.  I have heard a lot of great reviews from people who have done this and am excited to start!  Don't get me wrong, it is definitely going to be a challenge, especially, giving up diet soda...ugh....but I am looking forward to seeing how different my body might start to feel, how much energy I hope to have, how my skin will start getting healthier, and just feeling better because I am eliminating a lot of toxins from my diet. 
I am going to start blogging and tracking my progress and probably challenges come Ash Wednesday, Feb. 22nd, 2 weeks from today!
each muffin has different fillings

you can customize each muffin so you have something different each day.....I LOVE that!
I have to get creative as to what I eat so I found this muffin recipe which I can eat for some of my breakfasts.  I had my kids and their friends try it, and they actually really liked it and so did I, try it and let me know what you think!

WHOLE WHEAT MUFFINS:
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-3/4 cups unsweetened apple juice
-1 tsp pure vanilla extract (or any flavor....orange extract would be good in here)
-2 tbsp honey
-2 eggs
-1/8 tsp each nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger
-1/4 cup oil or (1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce and 1/8 cup coconut or olive oil)

-Mix all dry ingredients together, then add wet ingredients and mix until combined
-fill 12 muffin tins or what I did (6 jumbo muffin tins) with batter
-add any "whole or real" toppings you like to each tin and then gently stir to combine
Here are some examples:
-orange/lemon peel
-dried fruit
-nuts
-berries
-all natural jam
-all natural peanut butter

Bake at 400degrees for 15 minutes for 12 muffins or 20-25 minutes for 6 muffins

HAPPY WHOLE EATING EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment